China Union Pay
When you visit Australia, your UnionPay card (card number starting with 62) can be used in stores, hotels and taxis, and to withdraw Australian dollars from more than 60 per cent of ATMs.
Almost all bank cards with the UnionPay logo commonly used in Mainland China will be accepted in Australia without the need to apply for a new card. The 1%-2% credit card currency conversion fee, charged when purchasing goods or withdrawing cash in Australia is exempted when using the UnionPay network.
On Holiday in Australia with your UnionPay card
Plenty of hotels in Sydney, including the Shangri-La Hotel, Meriton and Travelodge, accept UnionPay as well as 97% of taxis.
When shopping in Australia, you can use your card at outlets and department stores such as David Jones, DFS, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Bvlgari, Hermes, Chanel, Hour Glass, J Farren-Price, and Watches of Switzerland, and for online shopping.
ATM Cash Withdrawal
60% of ATMs in Australia accept UnionPay cards for cash withdrawal (Australian dollars), including:
- Bank of China
- Citibank in-branch ATMs
- National Australia Bank Ltd.
Cash Withdrawal Limit: RMB 10,000 per day. Withdrawal limits are also set on Australian ATMs.
Chinese Interface: ATMs of NAB, HSBC, Cashconnect, Cashcard, Travelex have Chinese interface.
Cash Withdrawal Procedure: The card will be returned before cash is given.
Over the Counter: UnionPay cards cannot be used for over the counter transfer and cash withdrawal while abroad.
The standard 1%-2% bankcard currency exchange fee is exempted when withdrawing cash via the UnionPay network. UnionPay will convert the Australian currency withdrawn into RMB, based on the market exchange rate, and the issuing bank will deduct that amount from your RMB account accordingly.
- No overdraft interest will be charged for ATM cash withdrawal with a UnionPay debit card.
- A low commission fee will be charged for ATM cash withdrawal with a UnionPay debit card.
- ATM cash withdrawals in Australia incur an additional service fee of around AUD $2.
- No additional service fee is charged by National Australia Bank Ltd.
- No commission fee is charged for card swiping in POS terminals with a UnionPay debit card.
Australian UnionPay Service Hotline: 0011-800-95516